Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common endocrine system disorder among women of reproductive age.
Most women with PCOS have many small cysts on their ovaries. Hence, it is called polycystic ovarian syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances. One hormone change triggers another, which changes another forming a vicious cycle.
- Irregular periods or Amenorrhea-(Absence of menstruation for four months or longer)
- Variation in menstrual bleeding- Prolonged periods that may be scanty or heavy flow with clots. Bleeding may extend to more than 9 days.
- Infertility- Not able to get pregnant
- Hirsutism- excess hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs or toes.
- Acne, oily skin, or dandruff.
- Abnormal weight-gain, usually with extra weight around the waist and difficulty in reducing weight.
- Hair thinning
- Acanthosis nigricans- Patches of skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs that are thick, velvety, dark brown or black.
- PCOS treatment in Ayurveda, focuses on correcting the imbalance of the Doshas.
At NuAyurveda clinic we follow the following treatment protocol-
- Proper history taking and Prakriti analysis by experienced Ayurvedic doctors
- Panchakarma treatment for PCOS – Virechanam (Therapeutic purgation)andBasti (medicated oil and kadha enema)treatment are advised depending upon the severity and condition of the patient
- Ayurvedic medicines for PCOS are given to regularize the cycles and reduce weight.
- Infertility treatment is done by promoting proper ovulation
- Diet and lifestyle changes are advised.
- Yoga for PCOS are advised
- Uterine tonics are given to prevent recurrence