The Sanskrit word “Garbh” means a foetus in the womb and “Sanskar” means educating the mind. So, Garbhasanskar essentially means educating the mind of the foetus.
It is traditionally believed that a child’s mental and behavioural development starts as soon as he is conceived. Its personality begins to take shape in the womb and is actively influenced by the mother & state of mind during pregnancy.
Garbha Sanskar, where Sanskar is nothing but modulation of both parent qualities. The process of selecting and transmitting positive influences to the foetus through yoga, reading good scriptures, positive thinking, praying, healthy eating and cheerful behaviour are known as Garbha Sanskar. The Garbha Sanskar is nothing but an extension of the concept of Achara Rasayana i.e .right code of socio-behavioural conduct mentioned by our ancient acharyas like Charak.
Ayurveda has given a detailed description of the do‘s and don’ts for the pregnant lady which are called as Garbhini- paricharya.
The proper routine of the mother during pregnancy in the form of prayer (positive thoughts), Mana- shakti (positive emotion), conversation with the foetus (talk) or expressing feeling (touch) is not only felt by the unborn baby but it has positive effects on his physical and Mental Health. Hence Garbhasanskar is the scientific way of moulding Mental Health the child yet to be born.
Things covered in Garbhasanskar are:
- Assessment of current health status
- Creating awareness and explaining the importance of garbhasanskar
- Knowledge about month wise foetal development
- Month wise diet plan according to Ayurveda
- Trimester wise yoga and pranayama
- Meditation and its importance
- Literature for enhancing positivity amongst couples
- Activities for right brain activation
- Garbhasanvad (Talking to the unborn)
- Trimester wise music and mantras
- Lifestyle modification
- Masunimasik (month wise) traditional and classical Ayurvedic supplements for healthy baby
- Preparation prior to delivery
- Stress management through Ayurveda
- Couple counselling
- Post-delivery and Lactational support
- Child care support
Benefits of Garbha Sanskar
- It develops a bond between the mother and the child.
- Has a great impact on the health of the mother also. The positive thinking and attitude
promotes physical well-being of the mother.
- The nature of the mother also changes to some extent. She becomes more tolerant, more
patient, happier, more loving, more caring, more positive, less depressed, and an overall positive
- Makes your baby have better sleeping habits, be more alert and confident, more content,
more active at birth, better at breastfeeding and bond with parents